It is almost New Year’s Eve! That means coming up with your 2018 New Year’s Resolutions. Some of the most common resolutions include saving money, being more positive, getting organized, traveling, to stop procrastinating, and spend less time on the computer & television. However, the most popular resolution made is to live a healthier, more proactive life. Unfortunately, constantly eating healthy foods and trying out new exercise equipment’s, programs, etc. can be very pricey. Therefore, here are a few helpful tips to fulfill this resolution in a cost-efficient way.
Tips On How To Diet and Exercise Better:
Be sure to drink lots of water, you should be drinking at 64 oz. up to 80 oz. (8 8 oz. glasses of water).
- Tackle Mindless Munching
Chew a stick of gum or sugar-free mints, brush or floss your teeth, or keep your hands busy.
Many fitness centers and fitness programs offer dance as a workout, like Zumba, which can make working out a lot more fun.
- Bend with Friends
Yoga is a wonderful workout to do, and it is, even more, enjoyable when you do it with your friends.
- Go Outside
Try doing some exercise outside, take a job around the neighborhood or around your local park or lake.
- Send yourself a Reminder
This will help you remember to work out throughout your busy day.
Healthy Breakfast Meal: Smoothies
Berry Cheesecake- 1 cup frozen berries, ½ cup cottage cheese, 1 cup milk
Almond Banana- 1 cup almond milk, 1 tbs almond butter, 1 frozen banana
Peanut Butter Cup- 1 cup milk, 2 tbs peanut butter, ½ tbs cocoa powder, chocolate protein powder
Chocolate Chia- 1 cup milk, ¼ cup soaked chia seeds, ½ frozen banana, chocolate protein powder
Very Green- 1 green apple-cored and chopped, 1 kiwi-peeled, 1 cup spinach or kale, 1 cup apple or pineapple juice
An easy way to fix these is to put all the ingredients for each smoothie in a Ziploc baggie, seal it, and freeze it, therefore it is ready to put in the blender to make!
Healthy Lunch Meal: Apple-Walnut Chickpea Salad Sandwich
Chickpea Salad Ingredients:
1 ½ cups chickpeas
2 tbs onion, finely chopped
¼ cup celery, finely chopped (about 1 celery rib)
½ cup organic apple, diced (about 1 small apple)
2 tbs walnuts, chopped
4 full tsp tahini
3 tbs non-dairy milk
2-3 tsp lemon juice
½ tsp maple syrup
½ tsp red wine vinegar
Pink salt to taste, (some use about ¼ tsp)
- In a large bowl mash, the chickpeas. (try not to leave any whole chickpeas, but halves are perfectly fine)
- Mix in the chopped onion, celery, walnuts and diced apple.
- In a small bowl whisk the dressing ingredients together
- Using a spatula, pour the dressing into the chickpea mix
- Fold in the dressing until completely combined
- Chill in the fridge for 30 min. Or if your impatient, skip the chilling and eat right away
- Add the chickpea salad to your favorite toasted bread and top with avocado, tomato, salt and pepper
Healthy Dinner Meal: Mexican Stuffed Peppers
½ cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
1 cup water
1 tbs olive oil
½ cup yellow onion, diced
½ pound ground chicken
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
Salt and pepper
4 bell peppers (red or green), tops removed and seeds removed
½ cup pepper jack cheese, shredded
- Add the rinsed quinoa and water to a small saucepan. Heat over medium low heat. Bring to a simmer and cover. Let cook for about 10 minutes or until the liquid is absorbed and quinoa is tender. Fluff with a fork and set aside.
- In a sauté pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add the ground chicken. Break up the meat with a spatula. Add the chili powder and the cumin. Continue cooking the chicken until browned. Stir in the black beans and diced tomatoes. Season with salt and pepper and let cook for another 2 minutes. Mix in the cooked quinoa until combined. Season with more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with cooking spray. Spoon the mixture into each hollowed bell pepper. Cover with foil and back for about 25 minutes. Remove foil and sprinkle to cheese on top of each pepper. Place back into the oven uncovered and continue baking for about 5-7 minutes until the cheese is melted and peppers are tender.